Loving and caring
The Unit strives to “provide high quality pediatric and child health care to all the children that need it” The ward is located in North East part of the hospital. The ward was constructed in 1954 and 1954 by Verona missionaries.
The common conditions in children’s ward are: Malaria, Acute Respiratory Tract infection (Pneumonia, and others) and severe Anemia.
The ward has got different units including; The General ward, Infectious disease and neonatal wing, Private wing and Nutrition Unit
Categories of workers in Children Ward:
- One medical officer
- Two clinical officers
- One registered midwife
- One registered nurse
- Four Enrolled Comprehensive Nurse (ECN)
- Two Enrolled Midwife (EM)
- Ten Nursing Assistants (N/A)
- Two volunteers
- Three ward maids
Activities carried out in Children Ward:
- Treating simple and complicated conditions
- Daily admissions of patients
- Routine care of inpatients; observations, bed making, administer of prescribed medicines, feeds.
- The ward has three days for major ward round that is; Monday, Wednesday, and Friday; and four days of minor ward rounds
- Daily health talks to all patients and care takers
- Daily consultation at 5:00pm to 7:00am of OPD patients and we also offer services to OPD patients on week ends.
- We make requisition of medicines and its supplies from hospital management every Monday, Wednesday and Friday under the authority of the ward Doctor/Clinical Officers.
- Monthly staff meeting.
- Monthly inventory.
- Daily Continuous Medical Education (CME) to the nurses and students by the ward Doctors and Clinical Officers
- Daily CME to the students by qualified nurses.
- Weekly general CME by hospital team
- Outside training being provided by the District health team
Children ward is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week in 3 shifts; Morning : 8:00am-2:00pm Afternoon : 2:00pm-8:00pm and Night : 8:00pm-8:00am.